What is e-Government for Foreigners (Hi Korea)?
(http://www.hikorea.go.kr)is the main site of the electronic government for foreigners, jointly created by the Ministry of Justice, the Ministry of Knowledge Economy and the Ministry of Labor. It was created with the purpose of providing investment, employment, residence, and everyday living related information and services from a single source to foreigners visiting Korea.
Purposes of the service
- Provide information relating to immigration, investment, labor, and everyday living to foreigners living in Korea or those that plan on coming to Korea
- On-line electronic processing of various applications that are needed for residence and employment
- Provide investment related services to potential foreign investors. For example, gathering information about potential local partners, recommending local firms to investors (and vice versa), and various consulting services
- Realization of electronic government for foreigners that allows them to enjoy same level of privileges and conveniences as a Korean citizen.
- March 2005 The Ministry of Justice, Ministry of Knowledge Economy, and Ministry of Labor jointly established Business Process Reengineering (BPR) and Information Strategy Planning (ISP) for foundation of general support service for foreigners.
- December 2005 Started the 1st project to build the foundation
- August 2006 Completed the 1st project and started the services
- August 2007 Started the 2nd advancement project
- February 2008 Completed the 2nd advancement project and the services
- Information on visas, immigrant qualifications, and immigration procedures
- Information on convenience of living convenience including residence, transportation, education, medical treatment, culture, tourism, etc.
- Foreign investment information and consulting
- Information on Foreigner recruitment permit
- Civil complaints of the Ministry of Justice
- Reservation for visits
- Reentry permit
- Extension of short-stay permit
- Extension of long-stay permit
- extension limit of period for leaving the country
- Notification of changes in employed and trained foreigners
- Notification of changes in stay qualifications(H2) and workplace of visitors
- Civil complaints of the Ministry of Employment and Labor
- Work permits of foreign laborers
Applying for issuing (reissuing) documents
- Applying for extending the work permit period of foreign laborers
- Notification of changes in employment
- Applying for issuing (changing) special recruitment permits
- Notification of expected departure
- Applying for getting jobs for foreigners
- Applying for changing places of business
Systems to attract and promote investment
- Registering potential investors and inquiring domestic joint partners
- Registering joint partners and inquiring potential investors
- Matching information of domestic investors and joint partners with each other and providing the functions to search individualization
Next development plans
Next portal content and e-application range will be extended. We will make efforts to improve the accessibility to national information related to domestic foreigners.