Jincheon was called Geummulno-gun (今勿奴郡) in the Goguryoe Kingdom. Manno-gun (萬弩郡), Suji(首知) Sinji(新知) were another names of it. It was changed to Heukyang-gun (黑壤郡) in the Silla Kingdom. And it was called Hwangyang-gun (黃壤郡) since then. It was called Gangju (降州) in the early Goryeo Dynasty. And it was again changed to Jinju (鎭州).
The status Jasa (刺使) was assigned to it during the reign of King Seongjeong (成宗), but King Mokjong removed(罷) it later. It belonged to Cheongju (淸州) during the reign of King Hyeonjong (顯宗).
King Gojong (高宗) changed the name to Changeuihyeon (彰義縣) and a governor called Hyeolnyeong was assigned to it. King Wonjong (元宗) changed the name to Euryeong (義寧) and placed the military (軍事). It was changed to Sangsan (常山) in the Joseon Dynasty (朝鮮) and then to Jincheon Gammu (監務). The name was changed to Jincheon and Hyeongam was placed in 13th year of the reign of the King Taejong (太宗) (1413: Gyesanyeon(癸巳年)) of the Joseon Dynasty. Since then, it temporarily belonged to Gyeonggi-do in the 11th year of the reign of Yeonsan-gun (1505: Eulchungnyeon(乙丑年)).
King Jungjong (中宗) again restored it to Chungcheong-do in the early years of his leadership and a governor was assigned to it in accordance with the imperial order No. 98 on May 26, 1895 (The 32nd year of the reign of King Gojong (高宗)).
Gacheok-ri and Dongju-ri of Juksan-gun, Gyeonggi-do were incorporated into Gwanghyewon-ri and Silwon-ri of Manseung-myeon, this county in rearrangement of Bus and Guns in accordance with Buryeongje No. 111. And 14 myeons were incorporated into 7 myeons of Jincheon, Deoksan, Chopyeong, Munbaek, Baekgok, Iwol, and Manseung when myeons and areas were changed on March 9 of the same year.
Yonggi-ri, Yongsan-ri, Eunam-ri, Jinam-ri (4 areas) of Buki-myeon, Cheongwon-gun were incorporated to Chopyeong-myeon of this coutn in accordance with the ordiance no. 9 of the Japanese Government General of Korea.
Jincheon-myeon was raised to the status of Eup and Jincheon-eup consisted of 1 eup and 6 myeons.
Sansin-ri in Deoksan-myeon and Songdu-ri and Gasan-ri in Iwol-myeon have been incorporated into Jincheon-eup, Jungseok-ri in Deoksan-myeon has been done into Chopyeong-myeon, and Naechon-ri and Sadang-ri in Manseung-myeon have been done into Iwol-myeon in accordance with the Jincheon-gun ordinance No. 776.
Manseung-myeon's name was changed to Gwanghyewon-myeon under the Jincheon-gun ordinance No. 1676
Deoksan-myeon was raised to the status of Eup.