Located below Nogosan Mountain in Yangbaek-ri, Baekgok-myeon in Jincheon-gun, Baeti Holy Ground in Jincheon has been used as a place for paying a tribute to the faith of a number of martyrs and is a place of prayer and meditation.
There are two stories why it was called Baeti. One story explains that it was called Ichi - the pear hill - because there were lots of pears at the entrance of the village. So, it was called Beati in Korean. Another story explains that when Yi Injioa rebelled, he was defeated by villagers that was led by Yi Sungon, an elderly resident of the village as he was passing through Baekgok. He was defeated again by the royal forces led by Oh Myeonghwang on his way to Anseong.
So it was called Paechi from the word (Paejeon; a lost war) first, and changed to Baechi afterwards. Religious faith began to become popular again from 1870 and missionaries established five churches in Beati, Sambak-gol, Yongjin-gol, Saeul and Gulti. A Catholic mission school was founded in Beati in 1890. However, during the Japanese colonial period, the Catholic believers gradually left one by one and the pottery house where the Catholic believers made a living and the graves of unknown martyrs still remain. A Beati Shrine Development Supporters Association is being organized and plans to establish a Church History Institute and a Retreat house in Beati.